| Michaela Fisher

Poison Prevention Awareness

March is Pet Poison Prevention Awareness Month. A poison is something that, when ingested causes harm to the animal. Poisons can have varying levels of severity, and it is important as a pet owner to be aware of the potential poisons your dog might encounter and be ready to take measures to prevent your dog from ingesting these things. Today we will look at some of the most common pet poisons based on the Pet Poison Helpline, as well as discuss what to do if you think your pet has eaten something poisonous.


For dogs, the consumption of chocolate is one of the most common causes of calls to the Pet Poison Helpline. The severity of poisoning from chocolate is influenced by the size of the dog, the amount eaten, and interestingly the amount of cacao in the chocolate. The darker the chocolate is, the more toxic it is for your dog.

Mouse and Rat Poisons

If you choose to try and control rodent populations in or near your home, be very careful with your dog. Your pet might consume the poison itself, or even eat the deceased rodent who consumed the poison. Either way, this is a very dangerous situation that could lead to death if not handled swiftly.


NSAIDs, or Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can also be toxic to your dog’s health. This includes over the counter medicine like ibuprofen. It’s important to keep any medication you take in a dog proof place, so your pet is never tempted to try those little pills as a midnight snack!


Many dogs enjoy fruits and veggies, such as apples or carrots. But one fruit you should never feed are grapes! Grapes and raisins are known to be highly toxic to dogs, though research has yet to pinpoint exactly which substance in the fruit causes this reaction.


We all love our morning cup of joe, but our dogs should not indulge as we do! Coffee, caffeinated tea, and caffeine pills are all poisonous to our dogs.

So what should you do if you think your dog may have consumed something poisonous? Make an immediate call to your veterinarian or a phone hotline. Pet Poison Helpline’s number is 855-764-7661, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control’s number is 888-426-4435. Your vet and/or the helpline can help you determine what to do next, depending on the severity of the poisoning.